Thursday 6 August 2015

Don't Get Too Comfortable

Wow – the first official blog post of Health Happiness and Hiccups.  It’s taken me a couple of days to sit down and tackle this baby.  I have occupied myself with writing the About Me page and the Health and Happiness Plan page.... but was not quite sure what to start with for the first official post. 

Then, it hit me, (other than feeling  briefly uncomfortable, I’m ok) I would write about COMFORT.  Not the soft cozy cuddley jammies kind of comfort , The Comfort Zone (otherwise know as your box.... errr.... as in thinking outside the...can we climb out of the gutter please).
I am sure you have heard about this zone.  From Wikipedia:
  The comfort zone is a psychological state in which a person feels familiar, at ease, in control and experiences low anxiety and stress. In the zone a steady level of performance is possible.[1]


Well, I've been considering my comfort zone lately.  It has most certainly gotten smaller as I have gotten bigger.  This is neither healthy nor contributing to my happiness.  I have been unsuccessful getting my health in check and weight in order simply because the changes I would have to make are outside my comfort zone.  As soon as I get a little bit outside my zone, I scurry back inside like a squirrel escaping a barking dog. 

I came across this article on Babble today and #14 was my inspiration for this first post. I've taken the liberty of jazzing it up a little with a picture of my daughter:


I do not tolerate feeling awkward or uncomfortable well.  It’s just too... well... uncomfortable.  But as I reflected upon this statement I realised that the comfort zone is basically a virtual (psychological) muscle that will grow and strengthen with exercise.  The more you stretch and flex it the better it will get. But the process might get.... errrr.... uncomfortable . I just need to plough through it head down and fists up.

So here I go, venturing away from my comfort zone and on the Internet none-the-less.  What about you? Are you tucked too tightly inside your own comfort zone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you taking the time from your busy schedule to visit my happy little place and follow me on my journey towards health and happiness while navigating the hiccups along the way.

I love receiving your comments! Although I totally appreciate, consider and read every comment, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious or spam like. Health Happiness and Hiccups is my happy place, let's keep the drama out!

Don't see your comment? All comments are moderated and could take a few moments to appear.

Thanks again !